Helvetas helps build “positive peace.” We promote understanding and acceptance and are committed to constructively address root causes and drivers of conflict. We create or support spaces for dialogue and negotiation, where all human beings are treated with respect, without physical or psychological violence. We help create systems that ensure justice for all, especially safeguarding the rights of the most vulnerable groups.
Why conflict transformation matters
“There is no peace without development, there is no development without peace”, said Jan Eliasson, ex-UN Deputy Secretary-General. This understanding is also enshrined in SDG goal 16. Sustainable development can only happen in a peaceful context, where human rights are respected and promoted. The smaller the divide between rich and poor and between different groups, the more inclusive, just and peaceful can development be.
Helvetas strongly believes in the principles of gender and social equity, human rights, good governance and conflict sensitivity. For systems to be inclusive and just, there must be a high level of freedom of expression and a high acceptance of differences in a diverse society. Spaces for cultural expression and political dialogue are crucial. They allow different stakeholders to engage, exchange and discuss the conditions needed to live together in peace. Helvetas supports social transformation processes towards positive peace.
What we do
Conflict-sensitive program management (CSPM)
Helvetas works in a conflict-sensitive manner. This means that our staff is equipped to analyze and understand the local context, to recognize how our programs interact with its environment, and to build or adapt our course of action accordingly. Our interventions support peaceful structures. They do no harm and minimize tension in the local context. Read more here.
Helvetas’ partner countries are increasingly affected by conflict and fragility. Our projects are facing volatile social contexts and often address sensitive issues such as land and water management or governance mechanisms. Helvetas facilitates negotiations around access to natural resources, services or justice. Helvetas is specialized in creating cooperation and dialogue platforms designed to convene people with different interests, identities as well as social and economic backgrounds. We work with youth and adults to prevent violent extremism and promote mutual understanding.
Culture for peace
Helvetas believes that expressing one’s identity and culture is a basic need. Particularly if populations lack other basic needs, artistic expression has an important psychosocial function, both for the artists and the audience. Art that expresses the quest for peace does not only reach people’s minds. It reaches their hearts. Our artistic and cultural projects strengthen resilience, develop and uphold an enabling environment and initiate and support social transformation processes towards positive peace. By supporting arts and culture in contexts of conflict, Helvetas nourishes a fertile ground for sustainable peace.
What we offer
- Expertise in conflict sensitivity, conflict transformation and culture for peace to empower individuals, organizations and state institutions to be agents for peace, raising their awareness of conflictive issues and how to deal with them, as well as developing capacities to effectively engage as positive changemakers.
- Supporting non-governmental and governmental bodies through tailor-made capacity development on conflict analysis, context- and conflict-sensitive program management, conflict management, conflict transformation, conflict-sensitive cultural management, peace education and culture for peace.
- Supporting participatory, inclusive and non-violent processes of conflict resolution and decision-making at the local level.
- Assisting clients in project and program development, designing and planning interventions in the area of conflict transformation and culture for peace, integrating a conflict-sensitive, human-rights based approach, respecting the principles of good governance.
- Integrating conflict sensitivity in strategies and specific development approaches at the organizational, program/project and individual level.
- Tailor-made development and provision of instruments and training material for conflict analysis, conflict-sensitive program management and conflict transformation.
- Geographical coverage: Our advisors based in the global South and Switzerland provide technical support to projects in Europe, Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
Contact our team
Our multilingual advisory team offers wide-ranging thematic expertise and has in-depth experience in navigating complex processes. Helvetas’ work builds on over 60 years of experience in more than 30 countries.