Unfortunately, due to technical difficulties, the live streaming of our side event was cancelled. Please accept our sincere apologies.
JOIN OUR EVENT!
Helvetas side event at COP27
- Date: 10 November 2022
- Time: 13:15 – 14:45 Cairo Time (UTC+2)
- Onsite location: Tutankhamun (new location!)
Dealing with Losses and Damages: Field Experiences and Lessons for a Global Mechanism
The issue of Loss and Damage (L&D) has been and remains a highly contentious issue in climate negotiations. It has a long history, and was first raised by the Alliance of Small Island States in 1991. Since then, the concept has progressively been institutionalized, in particular through the Warsaw International Mechanism at COP19, and then anchored in Article 8 in the Paris Agreement in 2015.
Climate justice demands that countries and people least responsible for climate change must not bear the burden of losses and damages and a financial mechanism for L&D is established on polluter pays principles.
This side event contributes to this important topic with experiences from three continents and from the perspectives of communities, governments, private philanthropy and academia. The experiences will highlight current approaches to deal with losses and damages using different instruments, including innovative finance mechanisms supported and piloted by philanthropic donors, and will address the scale of the challenge and the imperatives for a L&D global mechanism.
For additional information, contact:
- Event Overview (downloadable flyer)
- Climate Home News: "Drought is hitting Ethiopia harder than ever"
- Climate Home News: "Pakistan’s ‘monster disaster’ brings climate compensation into focus"
- Climate Home News: "A climate justice approach to address loss and damage in Bangladesh"
- Helvetas' Position on Climate Justice