In the second decade of the 21st century, the world seems an extremely fragmented place. Parts of the world and of global society are enjoying rapid technology progress, an expansion of political freedoms and economic growth, while other parts are suffering from increasing poverty and the erosion of education possibilities, if not growing violence and human rights violations.
Many development challenges remain in the new millennium. Against this backdrop of a widening gap between a few rich people and the many poor, Helvetas Germany sets out its vision of a society that
- Ensures that the basic needs of all people are met and that they can live a life in dignity and peace;
- Guarantees all people – men and women – the right of self-determination and allows them to participate in shaping their social and political environment;
- Manages its natural resources in a sustainable manner;
- Is based on organisations and institutions that adhere to the principles of accountability, transparency, quality and efficiency.
Our development projects are designed to improve the living conditions of women and men from disadvantaged communities in a direct and sustainable manner, to build capacities such that they can take control of their lives and to have the skills, resources and opportunities to secure a decent living. Helvetas Germany works with disadvantaged and poor communities, therefore meeting people’s material needs remains central focus to our work. People ought not to suffer from hunger, should have access to clean water and sanitation, health care and schooling, be able to earn a decent living and live in suitable housing. However, development is not all about quantifiable material results. We also campaign for better living standards, emancipation, political freedom, legal security and peace.
- We support poor and disadvantaged women, men and communities in developing and transition countries in their efforts to improve their living conditions.
- Through development cooperation, we support women and men in improving their livelihoods themselves in a sustainable manner.
- We promote equitable access to the resources and services necessary for life and thus contribute to overcoming the root causes of poverty.
- We uphold the protection and promotion of social, economic, political, environmental and cultural rights and responsibilities and seek to ensure their practical implementation.
- We support our partners in engaging in development policy issues.
- We advocate for a coherent German foreign and economic policy, responsive to the needs of men and women in developing and transition countries.
- We accompany and support our partners on a long-term basis.
Our working principles
- We work in partnership on the basis of shared values, and strengthen our partners in their autonomy.
- We shape our programmes in an innovative and sustainable manner.
- We actively engage in development policy dialogue seeking to influence international regulatory frameworks in a just manner, responsive to the demands of developing countries.
- We work with civil society organisations, private sector and government actors and promote exchange among them at local, national and international levels.
- We take into account the local context. In fragile situations, we engage in conflict prevention and management.
- We foster intercultural dialogue, the exchange of experiences and knowledge and thereby learn for our future work.
- We uphold good governance and democratic accountability, including the fight against corruption.
- We work in an outcome-oriented and efficient manner. As a learning organisation, we systematically monitor the results and impact of our programmes and projects.
- We are committed to transparency and accountability towards our partners and stakeholders. We foster open internal and external communication.
- We support the professional and personal development of our personnel.
Here you can find more Information about the Work of the Helvetas Network: