Open call: Conduction of a review of the situation with food waste in the hospitality sector
Greentour Project requests proposals from the qualified consultants to conduct a review of the situation with food waste in the hospitality sector
Through an integrated business-led approach, the Greentour project mobilizes and mentors Kyrgyz tour operators and their suppliers to adapt and promote sustainable consumption and production (SCP) practices throughout their supply chains and business processes. This includes using local suppliers, purchasing environmentally friendly products, plastic reduction, conserving natural resources and applying socially responsible ways of interacting with local communities. Furthermore, the capacity of travel associations to provide Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) advisory services will be improved to spread the sustainable tourism practices.
Food waste is one of the sustainability issues. In line with other activities on improving waste management in the tourism and hospitality sector, Greentour will work with the HORECA segment on minimizing waste and integration of the sustainable consumption and production (SCP) practices by the actors in the tourism value chain. Greentour Project requests proposals from the qualified consultants to conduct a review of the situation with food waste in the hospitality sector. The review should cover:
- An overview of the existing standards related to food waste;
- An overview of the food waste practices applied by the hospitality businesses of various categories (to be agreed with the project);
- An overview of the recent studies and initiatives implemented in Kyrgyzstan in these area and the recommendations developed.
Based on the collected data and analyzed materials, the consultant is expected to develop recommendations that businesses may gradually introduce or integrate into the existing practices to improve the food waste management at their properties. As a final deliverable, the food waste standard expert is expected to produce a report with the collected data, findings, sources/materials and a set of recommendations. Attachments shall include the transcripts of conducted interviews; links to the conducted online surveys; copies of questionnaires (if surveys will be conducted offline); photos of working group discussions.
The food waste standard expert is expected to use the following tools in performing the task:
- Desk review of the available resources (national and international);
- Review of the relevant standards currently in force;
- Visits to the selected enterprises;
- Survey of the relevant stakeholders (HORECA segment businesses, tourism associations, relevant regulatory bodies and other);
- Interviews with the relevant stakeholders;
- Analysis of collected data;
- Report preparation.