Helvetas has been working in Vietnam since 1994, with an initial focus in agriculture, forestry and biodiversity as well as rural development like water and sanitation and local participatory development planning. Today, Helvetas Vietnam focuses mainly on Sustainable Inclusive Economies with a focus on pro-poor and gender-responsive value chain and market systems development in agricultural commodities and natural ingredients. The organisation has built strong experience and expertise in promoting gender and social equity, enhancing the empowerment of ethnic minorities and developing partnerships with diverse actors – government, private sector and civil society.
Helvetas Vietnam, in a consortium with WWF, IUCN and Fauna and Flora International (FFI), were recently selected to implement USAID’s Vietnam Biodiversity Activity, a five-year project covering five provinces of central Vietnam. Helvetas Vietnam has the overall responsibility for the conservation-friendly enterprise development component, targeting forest-dependent communities bordering national parks in Quang Binh, Quang Tri, Thua Thien Hue, Quang Nam and Lam Dong provinces.
The conservation-friendly enterprise development team will design and implement interventions to provide alternative livelihood and employment opportunities for poor, primarily ethnic minority women and men. Sub-components of this workstream include a) improving high-value agriculture and NTFP value chains; b) developing community-based ecotourism in suitable landscapes; and c) providing vocational training, job placement and micro-entrepreneurship support to known and suspected illegal hunters and their spouses. These alternative livelihood opportunities will contribute to the overall project goal of improving the conservation of rare and endangered species in critical national park habitats.
We are looking for a Technical Advisor (priority for expat), based in Hanoi with frequent travel to project sites:
YOUR MAIN TASKS
- Act as a member of the project’s senior management team, led by the Chief of Party of WWF
- Manage a team of technical experts implementing the Enterprise Development workstream
- Build the capacities of subordinate colleagues and coach partners to develop and implement sustainable and inclusive business models
- Maintain clear communications and a shared sense of purpose between the Enterprise Development Team and colleagues from WWF, IUCN and FFI delivering other workstreams
- Contribute to planning, monitoring, learning and project adaptation
- Manage synergies with other Helvetas, WWF, IUCN, FFI and USAID-funded projects
- Master’s degree in international development, economics, business administration, international relations or other relevant discipline
- Strong interest in environmental and economic sustainability, especially as it relates to conservation of biodiversity
- Significant experience applying the Market Systems Development theoretical framework in economic and employment-related development projects
- At least seven years working in international cooperation, with at least five years cumulative experience in sustainable agriculture or NTFPs, tourism, vocational education or employment. Other experience with forestry, climate change and environmental issues is desirable
- Excellent analytical skills, with the creativity needed to find win-win solutions that benefit both people and the environment
- Superior communication skills, persuasiveness and ability to diffuse conflict that makes you a respected team member and counterpart for senior partners from business, civil society and government
- Previous experience working in Vietnam is a distinct advantage
We offer a contract of 2 years renewable, attractive working conditions and a satisfactory and challenging job with frequent travels to the field.
We look forward to receiving your online application including motivation letter, CV, work certificates and diplomas by September 20, 2020. Please send your application via our online recruiting portal https://www.helvetas.org/en/switzerland/who-we-are/jobs