Business Development Manager
Founded in 1955, HELVETAS Swiss Intercooperation (HELVETAS) is the largest Swiss international development NGO. With about 300 projects worldwide, HELVETAS is present in 39 countries around the world initiating real change in the lives of over five (5) million disadvantaged people each year.
For our US team based in Washington, DC, we are looking for a Business Development Manager to support our new business initiatives, including identifying opportunities, gathering business intelligence, identifying clients and partners, leading capture and proposal development efforts, and building relationships with partners and strategic networks.
The Business Development Manager will report to the Senior Director of Business Development and will focus on the whole lifecycle of proposal development. This role will be responsible for mentoring and coaching all the members of the proposal team, including technical leads, country teams, and junior business development staff. This is a fully remote position.
- Manage the entire lifecycle of USG bids, from capture through proposal submission.
- Contribute to the development of a robust pipeline of opportunities, including sourcing and identifying USG opportunities with such clients as USAID and DOS.
- Lead early go/no-go discussions with the business development, technical and country teams and guide them through the decision-making process.
- Oversee the development of winning proposals, in partnership with Helvetas’ technical teams (at HQ and in-country offices), and prime/sub partners.
- Review and edit all the sections of the technical proposal and conduct a final quality assurance before submission to the client.
- Align the technical narrative with the cost proposal, ensuring that project activities are properly reflected in the budget and budget narrative.
- Lead recruitment efforts for the personnel to be included in proposals, such as posting job announcements, setting up and conducting interviews, and negotiating salaries, if needed.
- Represent Helvetas at various industry events, actively network, and promote Helvetas across the DC-based international development community.
- Develop corporate capability statements for the opportunities in the pipeline.
- Explore opportunities in key markets, primarily in countries with a substantial Helvetas presence.
- Research clients and understand their hot buttons; build relationships with existing and new partners – both international and local for country-specific pursuits.
- Build the knowledge of country teams and other members of the business development team in USAID procurement processes, and in best practices of capture and proposal management.
- Conduct in-country capture work, as needed.
- Master’s Degree in business administration, communications, international relations, or related field with 3 years of relevant work experience, or bachelor’s degree in business administration, communications, international relations, or related field with 4 years of relevant work experience.
- Sound and proven experience supporting winning proposals for USAID and DOS.
- Demonstrated ability to independently manage complex processes under tight deadlines.
- Strong ability to manage diverse teams – both HQ and country-based – paying attention to cultural sensitivities.
- Ability to represent an organization at external events.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to pay attention to details without losing the sight of a bigger picture.
- Ability to travel internationally, as needed and when possible.
- Knowledge of a foreign language, such as French or Spanish, is a plus.
- Must be based in the United States and eligible to work without sponsorship.
We offer you a competitive base salary, generous paid time off, a motivated and caring team, multiple professional development opportunities, and an environment with healthy work-life balance.
We look forward to receiving your CV by February 6, 2023, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.