Senior Advisor for Basic Education (F/M/D) 70-100%
Helvetas is an organization specialized in development cooperation and humanitarian response, anchored in Switzerland. Our vision is a just world in which all men and women determine the course of their lives in dignity and security, using environmental resources in a sustainable manner.
For our Skills, Jobs and Income team based in Zurich and Bern we are looking for a Senior Advisor for basic education (F/M/D) 70-100% to join our organization upon agreement.
The Skills, Jobs and Income team provides advisory services to Helvetas programmes and to external clients. The thematic fields in this working area focus on basic education, vocational education and training, and private sector development. Helvetas implements education programs and activities mainly in Africa and, to a lower extent, in Asia.
The Senior Advisor for basic education will support both, Helvetas projects as well as external clients, with his/her thematic expertise in the following areas:
- Basic education & approaches in development cooperation and humanitarian response
- Education in emergencies
- Catch-up basic education and basic education in the context of migration
- Digital learning in basic education
- Linkage between basic education and vocational education and training, hence expertise in vocational education and training would be an additional asset
YOUR MAIN TASKS
- Provide technical and strategic advice to projects in the field of education and, to a lower extent, of vocational education and training in the partner countries (continuous thematic support, planning of new projects, reviews and evaluations). The geographic focus will be on North and West Africa, and Asia
- Manage advisory mandates on basic education for external clients
- Steer the development of the basic education portfolio and the strategic orientation, foster knowledge sharing in the organization, and represent the organisation in external networks
- Maintain client and partner contacts related to education for collaboration
- Contribute to acquisition processes, including proposal writing
- An academic degree (MSc level) in education or in a related field, or a BSc degree with experience and additional relevant education
- At least eight years of experience in development cooperation with assignments in basic education and related fields, some experience in vocational skills development
- A combination of long-term assignments in the South / East and short- term consultancies for different clients. Experience in West or North Africa is an additional asset.
- Excellent advisory and coaching skills, knowledge on capacity development of local organizations
- Experience in acquisition and in developing project proposals for different donors
- Strong analytical and conceptual competences
- Good intercultural skills and understanding of gender and social equity issues
- Excellent written and spoken French and English. Fluency in German or any other language is an additional asset
- Readiness to travel several times per year, including in fragile contexts
We offer you an interesting opportunity in a motivated team with attractive working conditions. You can expect working in a multicultural setting at the centre of Zurich or Bern (both locations close to the train station) with opportunities to travel to our partner countries.
We look forward to receiving your complete application including motivation letter, work certificates and diplomas. Please send your application via our online recruiting portal. For additional information, please contact Bettina Jenny, Head SJI (+41 44 368 65 17), or visit our website www.helvetas.org