Helvetas is an international development organisation anchored in Switzerland. Our vision is a just world in which all men and women determine the course of their lives in dignity and security, using environmental resources in a sustainable manner.
We are looking for a result-oriented, dynamic individual with a proven record for this post at our Head Office in Switzerland (Bern or Zurich). The starting date is upon agreement. Male applicants are encouraged to apply.
Governance and Peace (GOP) is one of the five thematic working areas of Helvetas and Gender & Social Equity is a transversal topic. The GOP team provides advisory services, analysis and applied research to Helvetas programmes worldwide and to external clients. Extensive travelling is therefore to be expected, including to fragile contexts.
The GOP team consists of highly qualified experts who focus on topics of: local governance and decentralisation, accountability and political empowerment, gender and social equity, conflict transformation and peacebuilding as well as migration and development. Helvetas’ Gender and Social Equity Coordinator is a member of the GOP Team and will work closely together with the Gender & Governance Advisor.
As a member of the GOP team your work covers a wide range of thematic topics, including: strengthening the inclusion of women and other disadvantaged groups in local governance processes, empowering women and the socially marginalised to voice out and influence decision making processes, holding local governments to account for gender responsive and socially inclusive public service provision, so that women and other marginalized groups can better benefit from and contribute to social, economic and political development.
Your tasks, carried out both as a member of a team and individually, include:
- Providing technical and strategic advice to Helvetas programmes and projects, local governments, civil society, external clients and other stakeholders on the topics of Gender and Governance
- Enhancing the mainstreaming of good governance, with a focus on gender and social equity approaches and tools in Helvetas projects
- Supporting the design and formulation of gender responsive and socially inclusive local development policies, programmes and projects
- Developing and delivering Gender & Social Equity trainings and other capacity development activities (capacity assessment, planning & implementation of workshops, on-the-job coaching etc.) for a wide range of internal and external clients
- Undertaking qualitative research, knowledge capturing, and preparing thematic documents
- Building relationships, fostering collaboration and brokering partnerships among different stakeholders which enhance the mainstreaming of gender and governance institutionally and programmatically
- Contributing to the portfolio development, resource mobilisation and participation in proposal writing
- Monitoring, evaluations and reporting of internal and external programs and projects
- Communicating about the outcomes of Helvetas’ work with different public, policy and professional audiences through a variety of platforms and networks.
- Master’s degree in development studies, political science, gender studies, international relations, sociology, anthropology or in another area relevant to the position
- 3-5 years of experience in international development cooperation with assignments that are thematically relevant, including long-term assignments of 2-3 years in the Global South/East
- Preferably 1-2 years of experience with short-term consultancy assignments providing technical and strategic advisory services in the context of development cooperation
- Knowledge of and experience in gender mainstreaming; gender responsive and socially inclusive local governance; policy making and advocacy on gender & social inclusion; capacity development of civil society and Government stakeholders
- Excellent training and facilitation skills
- Conceptual, methodological competencies in development cooperation & analytical strength
- Excellent listening and advisory skills, intercultural and gender sensitivity, able to establish and maintain a good advisor-client relationship
- Excellent spoken and written French and English are a must, knowledge in Spanish and/or German, or another working language relevant to Helvetas country programs would be an advantage
We offer you
We offer challenging and meaningful work in a professional and learning oriented development organisation, as a member of a dynamic and international GOP team, attractive employment conditions and a workplace in Berne or Zürich.
We look forward to receiving your complete application in English, including motivation letter, CV, work certificates and diplomas by February 24, 2019. Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information, please contact email@example.com, Head Governance & Peace, or visit our website at www.helvetas.org.