Helvetas seeks to increase the income, job opportunities and food and nutrition security of disadvantaged women and men. For this purpose, we collaborate with the private sector, associations and governments. We support them to provide affordable services and inputs, ensure sustainable resource management and improve market access.
Why sustainable and inclusive economies matter
It is our commitment to improving livelihoods and the resilience of disadvantaged women and men in developing nations. The global demand for food supplies from rural areas has reached a historic high. Helvetas promotes sustainable agriculture practices that are profitable, environmentally sound and beneficial for communities. It offers the opportunity to provide affordable food to a growing population by maintaining access to fertile land, forests and water in a context of a changing climate. Inclusive economic development offers all members of society access to economic opportunities
What we do
By increasing efficiency for both farm and non-farm market systems, Helvetas enhances incomes, job opportunities, as well as food and nutrition security. We support people in getting access to natural resources – such as land and water – and to rural advisory and financial services.
Helvetas helps develop local markets and certified agricultural commodity chains, including organic rice and cocoa. We also strengthen labor market systems to create jobs and launch enterprises, with special attention paid to disadvantaged groups, like women and youth.
We recognize the important role of the private sector in innovation and economic growth, both integral elements in enhancing social and political stability in our partner countries.
Helvetas also advocates for sustainable, fair, resilient and environmentally sound production and consumption systems that provide rural and urban populations with sufficient and nutritious food.
What we offer
The Sustainable and Inclusive Economies advisory services team is consulting Helvetas’ programs as well as external clients in Africa, Asia, Latin America and Eastern Europe.
- Expertise in sustainable agriculture, food security and nutrition, sustainable market systems and private sector development, and financial inclusion.
- Long-standing experience in linking producers with markets of certified produce (such as organic and fair trade value chains) and in facilitating knowledge sharing.
- Advice on designing internal control and quality management systems as per the requirements of the market.
- Training and capacity building on market systems development / making markets work for the poor (M4P).
- Establishing and implementing private-public development partnerships that benefit disadvantaged women and men to increase income, employment and food and nutrition security.
- Advice on financial inclusion, in particular, the strengthening of self-help credit and saving programs, the institutional development of rural microfinance institutions and value chain finance.
Contact our team
Our multilingual advisory team offers wide-ranging thematic expertise and has in-depth experience in navigating complex processes. Helvetas’ work builds on over 60 years of experience in more than 30 countries.
Contact our sustainable and inclusive economies experts
Helvetas develops and guides projects. To be sustainable, they must be locally embedded. We support our partners in effectively organizing projects and processes and assist local authorities to better assume their responsibilities.
Our quarterly newsletter “Highlights”
Download and read our publications on different sustainable and inclusive economies related topics.
PDF (1.86 MB)
PDF (1.89 MB)
PDF (0.78 MB)
PDF (16.43 MB)
PDF (0.54 MB)
PDF (0.46 MB)
PDF (0.76 MB)
PDF (1.9 MB)
PDF (14.07 MB)
PDF (0.53 MB)
PDF (0.78 MB)
PDF (2.93 MB)
PDF (0.82 MB)
PDF (0.58 MB)
PDF (0.75 MB)