The Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) decided to award a contract following tender procedure “Bai Alai -Small Business and Income Creation Programme in Alai and Chon Alai – Kyrgyzstan” (further Bai Alai programme) to the consortium composed of HELVETAS Swiss Intercooperation and the Aga Khan Foundation Kyrgyzstan. Contract is awarded for a Phase II, from 1 June, 2018 to 30 April, 2022.
Bai Alai programme is a ten-year initiative in the region of Alai and Chon Alai, two mountainous rayons in the south of Osh Oblast, bordering on Tajikistan and China, with a total population of about 100’000. These are two of the poorest rayons in Kyrgyzstan. The overall goal of the Project is to reduce poverty in Alai and Chon Alai through increased particular for women and youth by (i) increasing productivity and sales of producers and small businesses in selected sectors and (ii) creating new women and youth led businesses and by increasing turnover of existing ones.
Project strategy for achieving those outcomes is to:
- Support development of the cattle, apiculture, handicraft and tourism sectors in order to achieve system-level improvements for involved market players and create income and employment gains for the poor;
- Facilitate the development of business development and financial services for nascent farm and non-farm small and micro enterprises including women and youth-led start-ups and strengthening of capacities of market actors in advocating for improved regulatory frameworks.
Assignment Title: Conduct a research on variety and productivity of honey plants in Alai and Chon Alai regions.
Location: Alai, Chon Alai regions of Osh oblast
Assignment periods: August 5, 2019 - August 1, 2020.
Objective: To identify the honey plants of the spring-summer and autumn period in the Alai and Chon Alai districts and give a description of each honey plant, including honey productivity and usefulness of the Alai and Chon Alai honey with a view to marketing promotion.
- To conduct a floristic analysis of the main honey plants of the Alai and Chon Alai regions;
- To compile a catalog of honey plants of the spring, summer and autumn period in Alai and Chon Alai regions with plant names and description in Russian (give the plant names in Kyrgyz, Russian and English);
- To determine the potential of honey production and the usefulness of each honey plant, taking into account the soil, climate and other factors;
- To determine the pollen composition of Alai and Chon Alai honey using samples provided by Bai Alai direct beneficiaries-beekeepers;
- To develop a calendar of honey plants in spring, summer and autumn period separately - Alai and Chon Alai region;
- To develop a map of honey plants in the Alai and Chon Alai districts, indicating the occupied area;
- To conduct the first part of the field work from August 5 to September 15, 2019, and the second part of the field work from May to July 2020;
- Provide a descriptive report on the first part of the field work until September 30, 2019, a report on the second part of the field work until July 20, 2020;
- Provide a final detailed research report with recommendations on the use of productivity of honey plants in Alai and Chon Alai districts until July 25, 2020.
- Development of a detailed schedule of activities for coordination with the team;
- At least 2 (two) visits to the target regions;
- Provide high-quality photos taken during field and laboratory work;
- A description of the honey plants should be provided with photos taken during the fieldwork.
- Expected results:
The main result of the task is a detailed research report, including a floristic analysis of the main honey plants of the Alay and Chon Alay regions, a catalog of honey plants with a detailed description of the honey productivity, usefulness, features taking into account the climate and a map of the location of all honey plants, indicating the area of each of them, in Russian language.
Candidates should send the following documents to the following e-mail: Nurgul.Tashtanova@helvetas.org, no later than August 1, 2019.
List of application documents
- Certificate of registration of a legal entity;
- Letter of interest describing the experience of conducting similar research;
- CV of key performers with similar research experience;
- Plan of activities, implementation schedule, including a detailed budget.
Basic requirements for a potential consultant or potential organization:
- At least 3 years of experience of in the field of conducting similar research, including field work in remote regions (experience in conducting research in the field of beekeeping is an advantage:
- Experience in working with local non-governmental organizations, international organizations (at least 3 years);
- Registration of a legal entity (LLC or PF)
- Willingness to start the task from August 5, 2019