Wash Advisor - Humanitarian Wash (80%)
Helvetas is an organization specialized in development cooperation and humanitarian response, anchored in Switzerland. Our vision is a just world in which all men and women determine the course of their lives in dignity and security, using environmental resources in a sustainable manner.
For our Water Food and Climate Team based in Zurich and Bern we are looking for a goal-oriented and pragmatic individual to join our organization as per September 1, 2022 or upon agreement.
The Water Food and Climate team provides advisory services to Helvetas programmes and to external clients. In our work on water, the advisory team focusses on the thematic fields of Water supply, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), integrated water resources management, water for agriculture and ecosystem services. We integrate climate and disaster risks in water as well as in food and nutrition, and aim at further building our competence in emergency WASH. With its work, the team contributes to increased access to sustainable WASH services for people living in developing countries.
- Provide technical and strategic demand-based advice to Helvetas country programmes and projects and external clients regarding water supply, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), also in humanitarian contexts
- Contribute to thematic development on (humanitarian) WASH, which involves the development and dissemination of methods, tools and guidelines, staff training and partnership development
- Contribute to capacity development for a wide range of internal and external clients
- Acquisition of advisory mandates and support fundraising activities related to WASH
- Contribute to advocacy on WASH
- Represent Helvetas in events and networks, both in Switzerland and internationally
- Master’s degree in civil engineering, environmental sciences or related discipline
- At least five years’ experience as technical advisor and/or project manager in the water sector with a broad experience in Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) in an international context
- At least three years working experience in development cooperation and/or humanitarian response with long-term and short-term assignments on WASH programmes
- Proven expertise in at least two of the following WASH topics:
- Urban sanitation technology and services, wastewater treatment, solid waste management
- WASH in emergencies
- WASH sector governance
- Market-based approaches to WASH
- Water resources planning, climate and disaster resilience in WASH
- Proven advisory competences and experience in capacity development
- Good communication and facilitation skills, able to work in teams and independently
- Experience and successful track record in acquiring advisory mandates and/or projects
- Excellent spoken and written English and French and/or German; Spanish, Portuguese or Russian skills would be additional assets
- Good knowledge of the Swiss water and/or humanitarian aid sectors, and hands-on experience in emergency WASH would be strong assets
WE OFFER YOU
Attractive working conditions in an interdisciplinary team and a multicultural setting, workplace in Berne or Zurich (close to the main station).
We look forward to receiving your complete application including motivation letter, work certificates and diplomas by August 1st, 2022. Please send your application via our online recruiting portal. For additional information, please contact Ms Bernita Doornbos, Head Water Food and Climate team (+41 (0)44 368 65 28, between 18th to 22nd of July), or Ms Sandra Leite, Recruiting Manager (+41 (0) 44 368 65 67) or visit our website www.helvetas.org.