Intern Water Networks 60-70%
Helvetas is an organization specialized in development cooperation and humanitarian response, anchored in Switzerland. Our vision is a just world in which all men and women determine the course of their lives in dignity and security, using environmental resources in a sustainable manner.
For our Water Food and Climate Team based in Zurich and Bern, we are looking for a goal-oriented and eager to learn young professional, to join our organization as per February 1, 2023 or upon agreement.
We are looking for an Intern Water Networker 60-70%
Since October 2020, Helvetas implements a backstopping mandate for the Section Water of the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) to facilitate the SDC’s water network “RésEAU” and sector knowledge management. The RésEAU was launched in 2009 as the agency’s thematic network for water. Today the RésEAU has more than 540 members, who are staff of SDC and its implementing partners active in water related projects. Its main objectives are:
i) SDC and partner staff apply up-to-date knowledge in their water-related work, are connected and exchange among each other.
ii) SDC’s water profile is strengthened, coherent and trendsetting.
Backstopping is also provided to AGUASAN, a Swiss community of practice bringing together a wide range of specialists to promote holistic understanding of key issues in water and sanitation in international cooperation.
Helvetas is offering an internship opportunity for recent graduates or young professionals to support the activities of SDC’s water network RésEAU. The intern will have to be Swiss based, as occasional travel within Switzerland will be required. This internship is an excellent opportunity to gain insights in Swiss development cooperation and acquire experience in innovative approaches for water.
YOUR MAIN TASKS
- Support the activities of SDC’s water network “RésEAU” and sector knowledge management
- Organize activities for RésEAU members such as webinars, workshops, learning journeys, networking events, e-discussions, at global and regional levels
- Support the documentation of best practices of SDC and its partners
- Support updates to the RésEAU online platforms (Shareweb, Hazu, Dgroups)
- Support the organization of AGUASAN workshop
- Participate in planning meetings with the mandate team members and client
- Assist in operative reporting
- Provide organizational and thematic support to Helvetas advisors within other mandates on water, food and climate and their interlinkages, including secretariat functions of the Swiss Water Partnership
- Under the lead of Helvetas advisors, contribute to thematic development on water topics, capacity building, acquisition of advisory mandates, and representation of Helvetas in events and networks
- University (Master or Bachelor) degree in water management, international development, environmental sciences, engineering or business development or similar fields
- Prior experience in developing countries and/or experience in water and sanitation and/or sustainable development is an asset
- Knowledge of global water challenges, and proven interest in topics such as integrated water resources management, rural and urban water supply, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), water use for agriculture and climate and disaster risks in water.
- Goal-orientation, conceptual and analytical competences, and working experience in project management and service provision
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work in teams and independently
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and excellent spoken and written English and French. German and Spanish would be additional assets
- Due to Swiss work permit restrictions, only applications from Swiss nationals, EU citizens as well as current work-permit holders for Switzerland can be considered
A contract initially limited until December 31, 2023. Attractive working conditions in an interdisciplinary team and a multicultural setting, workplace in Berne or Zurich (close to the main station).
We look forward to receiving your complete application including motivation letter, work certificates and diplomas by December 18th, 2022. Please send your application via our online recruiting portal.
For additional information, please contact Ms Bernita Doornbos, Head Water Food Climate team (+41 (0)44 368 65 28), or Ms Denise de Quervain, Recruiting Manager (+41 (0)44 368 67 27) or visit our website www.helvetas.org.