Head Finance & Administration Ukraine Response (F/M/D) – 100%, Based in Kyiv, Ukraine
Helvetas is an organization specialized in development cooperation and humanitarian response, anchored in Switzerland. Our vision is a just world in which all people determine the course of their lives in dignity and security, using environmental resources in a sustainable manner.
Helvetas has been responding to the crisis in Ukraine since March 2022. In Moldova, where Helvetas has an operational presence since 2018, initial response was directed to a cash-based assistance program for refugees and host communities and was converted now toward a nexus programming on livelihoods and DRR. The office based in Ukraine equally serves as a support hub for our operations in Moldova. In Ukraine, Helvetas humanitarian response has a sectorial focus on WASH & Shelter and is supported by a nexus oriented second program on livelihoods.
To complement our team, we are – as per January 2024 – looking for an experienced and agile humanitarian professional as: Head Finance & Administration Ukraine Response (F/M/D) – 100%, Based in Kyiv, Ukraine
The position holder will be responsible for the sound management of finance and administration for the programs in Ukraine and Moldova. Reporting to the Country Coordinator Ukraine, the Head Finance & Administration will lead the Support Team and work closely with the team and partner organisations in Ukraine.
YOUR MAIN TASKS
- Ensure quality finance and administration systems are adapted and functioning for humanitarian programs in Moldova and Ukraine.
- Define and ensure updates of annual financial plans for the response.
- Maintain Master budget and expense forecasts to ensure an efficient and adequate allocation of resources and booking of expenditures across multiple projects.
- Ensure accounting is maintained, including verification of all fund transfers, development and implementation of office and project budgets, financial and liquidity planning, financial reporting, and audits.
- Supervise timely preparation of monthly budget follow-ups as well as quarterly and yearly accounts including the monthly finance and management reports and disseminate with senior management accordingly.
- Identify and implement financial risk management practices and lead on donor financial compliance for the project offices.
- Ensure operation of bank accounts and archival systems for supporting documents are maintained.
- Liaise with Head Office to implement recommendations and/or adapt existing financial systems to the needs of the humanitarian response.
- Support senior management in the assessment of financial risks and provide recommendations to support decision-making.
- Mentor and coach junior finance staff including inductions on financial processes and procedures and training on Helvetas’ financial systems.
- Visit project partners in Ukraine and Moldova to carry out financial capacity assessments and due diligence reviews. Carry out spot checks and review financial systems.
- Review partner accounts and financial reporting for compliance, monitor expenses and cash flow.
- Provide support to partners with trainings and other capacity building as identified.
- Review and approve partners financial reports.
- Provide capacity building and mentoring to partners financial staff.
- Support representatives and HR staff in Moldova and Ukraine in recruitment of national staff.
- Support HR department in management of visas/permits and logistical organization of expatriates and international consultants.
- Ensure HR systems are implemented as per the organizational policies and in line with labour laws, i.e., recruitment procedures, performance reviews, salary scale, local payroll.
- Provide recommendations to improve HR systems and lead the implementation of new procedures into the existing operations.
Administration & Logistics
- Support in regulatory matters including registration, tax obligations etc. for both Ukraine and Moldova offices.
- Follow up on contractual agreements including house(s), office(s), and vehicles etc. and ensure timely renewal.
- Ensure the smooth functioning of programme related administration.
- Manage office, accommodation, and supply requirements.
- Supervise logistics officer and/or logistic assistant to ensure that logistics and admin processes are implemented as per the organisation’s standards.
- Mentor logistics office and/or logistics assistant to ensure that procurements are compliant with local legislation.
- Support logistics officers in the review of procurement and administration processes of partners.
- Lead the financial/HR/administrative staff of the response cultivating team spirit and a healthy work environment.
- Line management of dedicated teams in both countries covering Logistics, HR, Administration and Finance services.
- Coach and support team members on the job as per their needs and requirements.
- Represent humanitarian team within Eastern Europe Regional team for support related issues. Liaise with Eastern Europe Region to harmonize standards whenever possible and share specific humanitarian processes developed.
- Advanced university degree or diploma in financial management and accounting.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a similar (international) position/level focusing on financial management with an INGO in humanitarian contexts.
- Experience with Institutional donors such as SDC, UN, INTPA, SIDA, BMZ
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills; ability to coach and support staff and cultivate team spirit in a volatile and challenging environment.
- Proven familiarity with humanitarian donor requirements.
- Advanced IT skills, especially 1C, Banana, and/or Abacus accounting programs.
An international contract for the duration of 12 months (extension possible). Attractive working conditions and integration in a dynamic environment and team.
Duty station is Kyiv with regular travels to Moldova. It is a non-family destination.
We look forward to receiving your application in English including motivation letter, CV, diplomas and work certificates until September 25, 2023 via our online recruiting portal.